Jan. 5, 2012 - Fans need to be prepared as New Orleans gears up
NEW ORLEANS (January 5, 2012) – Officials with the Mercedes-Benz Superdome are encouraging fans to arrive early for Monday’s BCS Championship game between the LSU Tigers and Alabama Crimson Tide. Large crowds are predicted and standard security measures will be in place, including pat downs and bag checks with separate lines for males and females.
In addition, only fans with tickets to the game are encouraged to celebrate in and around the Superdome as crowd control measures and special traffic patterns will be in place. Champions Square also will not broadcast the game from inside the Superdome.
“We anticipate an electric atmosphere in and around the Superdome for the national championship game,” says SMG Senior Vice President Doug Thornton. “Fans need to plan accordingly and arrive early. If you don’t have a ticket to the game, we encourage you to make plans to watch it elsewhere as it will not be shown on the big screen in Champions Square.”
- Time – Kick-Off is 7:30 p.m. and doors will open at 5:30 p.m.
- Tickets – The BCS Championship Game is a complete sell-out. The re-selling of tickets is strictly prohibited on Superdome and New Orleans Arena property. Violators are subject to arrest and/or ticket forfeiture.
- Parking – Superdome and Champions Square Garage will open at 6:30 a.m. and parking is $25.00 per car. There will be no RV or non-credentialed bus parking on the streets and surface lots adjacent to the Superdome and New Orleans Arena.
Champions Square – located between the Mercedes-Benz Superdome and the Hyatt Regency Hotel
o Opens at 2:00 p.m.
o Free Admissiono The BCS Championship Game will not be broadcast on the Champions Square video screen
o Food and beverage offerings:
§ Whole Hog Barbeque
§ Pigeon’s Catering
§ Praline Connection
§ WOW Wingery
§ Full bar service is also available
o Outside food and beverage is not permitted
o Live entertainment by Mojeaux Band, and the Alabama and LSU bands
o Only fans with tickets to the game are encouraged to attend due to the limited space of the area
- Security Procedures – A full body pat-down and bag check will be performed prior to entering the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.
- Prohibited Items Include:
- Outside food and beverage
- Weapons or anything that could be used as a weapon
- Oversize bags (larger than 12” x 12” x 12”) – no backpacks
- Animals (except service animals)
- Large signs
- Vulgar or offensive clothing and signs
- Anything else stadium management deems as unacceptable